Real People. Real Views.

This blog is one of my side projects and it will touch on random topics / everyday subjects from the heavy to the light-hearted or even candid. They will come from various people from all walks of life - they could be friends, acquaintances or complete strangers. This is not a 5-minute fame kinda thing but more so for us to tell the world that everyone has their own POV - whether you deem them important or not. It is about mutual respect, understanding and most importantly, it is about LISTENING.

p/s : I strive to keep it as real as possibly allowable
pp/s : For those who has a POV to share - do drop me a note!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

An Ecounter with... Line Dancing

Name    : Lilian Lui
Age        : 57
Where Are You From?   : Kuala Lumpur
Currently Residing In…   : Petaling Jaya, Selangor
What Do You Do For A Living?     : A tutor for primary school students

AEW      : Hello Mrs. Lui J I happen to know that you are a big fan of line-dancing and have been dancing for a long time now. When did you start doing line-dancing?    
LL            : I started in September 2002, after  I’ve opted for early retirement
AEW      : What actually got you started doing line-dancing?     
LL            : I’ve read about line dancing and I thought this would be an interesting exercise especially accompanied with music and songs. And I have been with it ever since.
AEW      : Tell me more about this line-dancing. What is it actually? Is it just people dancing in a group? In a line?   
LL            : Line dancing is dancing in a line as a big group. It includes country and western, latin (mambo, tango, cha-cha, waltz, rhumba) and funky dances. These dance steps are accompanied by evergreen songs, or even Top Of The Charts like Lady Gaga’s numbers.
AEW      : Lady Gaga, huh! You must be one hot mama! I heard also that you not just dance weekly, but you also perform and even enter line-dancing competitions as well. Have you won any line-dancing competitions?
LL            : I am glad my dance instructress has trained us to perform for functions and charities. Yes, my group has participated in dance competitions and had come out third. The exposure to competitions is good. We can gauge ourselves against other groups who are good in their music and costumes too.
AEW      : How do you feel about performing? I mean, do you enjoy performing? What about when you are performing? Are you nervous? Excited?    
LL            : I enjoy performing very much. I am normally relaxed and I enjoy the stage performances. When we get rounds of applause, I am very happy.
AEW        : What would be “next step” for you in terms of line-dancing? From what I heard, you are pretty good at it. Would you consider teaching?   
LL            : I’d rather be a student than a ‘teacher ‘in line dancing. 
AEW      : Oh... Why?      
LL            : Well, I’ve been a school teacher for more than 26 years and now I want to enjoy line dancing and not feel so ‘stressful’ teaching adults. I did sit for 2 levels of ISTD line dancing exams.  I did very well but it was only for the experience and to gauge my own achievements.  I’m happy with just that.
AEW      : Is your husband a big fan of yours too?   
LL           : Oh yes! He is very supportive. He gives me a lot of encouragement because he knows that I really like line dancing. He chauffeurs me to the venues and is also my ‘official’ photographer!
AEW    : *grin* That is nice indeed. Well, Mrs. Lui - here's to many, many more years of line dancing and winning competitions!

No comments:

Post a Comment