Real People. Real Views.

This blog is one of my side projects and it will touch on random topics / everyday subjects from the heavy to the light-hearted or even candid. They will come from various people from all walks of life - they could be friends, acquaintances or complete strangers. This is not a 5-minute fame kinda thing but more so for us to tell the world that everyone has their own POV - whether you deem them important or not. It is about mutual respect, understanding and most importantly, it is about LISTENING.

p/s : I strive to keep it as real as possibly allowable
pp/s : For those who has a POV to share - do drop me a note!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

An Encounter with... Chinese New Year

Name    : Kong Tze Ling
Age        : 11+
Where Are You From?   : Selangor Darul Ehsan
Currently Residing In…   : Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
What Do You Do For A Living?     : Student, Year 6

AEW      : Tell me, what does Chinese New Year mean to you?   
TL            : An exciting celebration! Lots of food. Ang Pows.
AEW      : Are you and your family traveling anywhere for the Chinese New Year? Perhaps for a holiday or maybe traveling back to your parents’ hometown for the celebrations?  
TL            : We do not have a kampong. My parents and grandparents are from KL. We are city-bred. But the city is quiet at these times.
AEW      : Do you and your family practice a lot of the Chinese New Year customs / traditions / superstitions? If so, which ones?  
TL            : We decorate our house with red lanterns. CNY decorations and ang pows are stapled onto leaves and hung on trees. We invite lion dancers to our house every year for good luck. We enjoy the festivity and atmosphere. We observe customs like not using unlucky words and avoid sweeping the floor for fear of sweeping away our good luck. We have new clothings, new toothbrushes, towels, shoes for a brand new start.
AEW      : Are your parents also excited about Chinese New Year? Why?
TL            : They are equally excited. I suppose, because it is family reunion time and it’s nice to see the rest of our families.
AEW        : So, have you gotten all your new clothes for the Chinese New Year yet? Do you know why we get new clothes for the Chinese New Year?
TL            : Yes, I got new clothes enough for a whole week! I was told this is to welcome the new year. Everything must be new. This is also a sign of prosperity.
AEW        : You must be looking forward to your ang-pow collection. Tell me, do you get to keep the ang-pows or does your parents keep them for you?  
TL            : My parents keep them for me. I have an account in a bank. So my wealth is growing already *grins*
AEW      : Do you have any Chinese New Year stories that you can share with us? Maybe an old-folk’s tale or a legend that you have read or heard from somewhere?
TL            : I can remember an occasion whereby my cousin, Cecilia was so terrified by the lion dance that she ran in the house to avoid the ‘lion’ . It was so hilarious. But old-folk’s tale and legends… nope. I can tell you about Harry Potter!
AEW    : *laughs* I know Harry Potter very well myself, thank you. Well, Tze Ling, Kong Hey Fatt Choy, ya!
And to the rest of our readers – Here’s Wishing All Of You KONG HEY FATT DAI CHOY! And a year of abundance in wealth and prosperity!  

No comments:

Post a Comment