Real People. Real Views.

This blog is one of my side projects and it will touch on random topics / everyday subjects from the heavy to the light-hearted or even candid. They will come from various people from all walks of life - they could be friends, acquaintances or complete strangers. This is not a 5-minute fame kinda thing but more so for us to tell the world that everyone has their own POV - whether you deem them important or not. It is about mutual respect, understanding and most importantly, it is about LISTENING.

p/s : I strive to keep it as real as possibly allowable
pp/s : For those who has a POV to share - do drop me a note!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

An Encounter with... May 13

Photo of burnt Chinese/Malay Kampung off Hale Road
taken on the 14th May 1969 by Hassan Muthalib
Name    : Aunty May (sorry, I’d rather not have my photo taken for this…)
Age        : 50+
Where Are You From?   : Kuala Lumpur
Currently Residing In…   : Kuala Lumpur
What Do You Do For A Living?     : A retiree

AEW      : Aunty May, I know this is a pretty sensitive topic to broach. But I would like for you to share some first-hand experience and your thoughts about May 13 as you know it from your point-of-view. Where were you on that tragic day of Malaysian history?
AM         : I was at home and home is very near Chow Kit Market.  I was in Form 4 then, studying for my exams. My father was at work and I was with my expectant mother, brother and grandmother. I still remember that it was a very hot day.  
AEW      : Were you scared?       
AM         : Very scared. I was staying at the ground floor of a 3-storey flat and most of our neighbours gathered in our unit because we had a back exit.
AEW      : What actually happened? You have to understand for youngsters like us, we can only know what we read or hear. And there seems to be plenty of versions of this history.     
AM         : Politically, I do not know. You are right. There are so many versions of history today. Whether it was the Chinese party, or the UMNO party, who knows? I was only a young girl then, studying very hard to maintain my grades! I didn’t care about politics! Anyway, on that horrible day, I remember someone ran home screaming that there was a riot at Jalan Chow Kit. Thick smoke could be seen from where we stayed because I believe many vehicles were burnt. In fact, the factory owner near our home had most of his lorries burnt down too. Then there were men, both young and old going out to fight the rioters, to protect the neighbours. I cannot believe I am saying this, but the Chinese triads of the Chow Kit area, the gangsters became our overnight heroes because they went all out to protect us, taking us to another area for safety and really took care of us. Looking back, they had no reasons to do so. After all, what is there for them to gain? I’m just sorry that I cannot even remember a single one of them. Anyway, we had to escape in the darkness with their help. We were told that there was a lot of bloodshed and lots of people were dead. Fortunately, I did not see the dead. We only saw injured men returning to the area to seek help.
AEW      : So what took place when Emergency was declared? What did you do in particular?   
AM         : Our whole group from the Chow Kit Market area was led to the shop houses behind the then International Textile shop to take refuge. We had to stay locked indoors. But the gangsters, I keep calling them gangsters, but there is no other way for me to describe them! I don’t even know their names! The gangsters, they looted food ration and medicine from the markets and other shops to feed us and also to take care of the injured. They risked their lives for us. Sometimes, it is during times of adversity that we see true human character. They may be bad hats during normal times, but truth was, when the push came to shove, their hearts were made of gold. I still do not know what was there to gain for them.  For me, I was just too scared to do anything. Just follow instructions! I did help cook. Our main meals then were home-made Pan Mee in plain soup because the gangsters, they managed to get lots of flours!
AEW      : Were you angry that something like that happened or were you more impartial? That – as long as you were not affected, it was fine?      
AM         : I was very scared and worried about my father‘s safety. We had lost contact with him for 10 days because of the lockdown and curfew. When the curfew was lifted, he went to many hospitals with my uncle to look for us. I am thankful that nothing untoward happened to my parents and my brother and my unborn sister. Of course I was very angry. I wished this riot didn’t happen at all. The feelings and emotions then were so overwhelming that it was all a jumbled turmoil. But definitely I remember being angry that this should take place. Of course, I was living in great fear then. The 10 days were one of the most frightening experiences I ever had. I saw something that I can never erase from my memory and that is the faces of deranged-looking men with parangs and all looking for blood. Then, of course, there is gratitude. That my family is safe. That these no-name Chinese gangsters were protecting us and looking after us. Not blowing cat-whistles at the young girls. *smile*
AEW        : Malaysia is pretty peaceful right now, don’t you think? I believe that racial tolerance and understanding is in abundance in the multi-cultural vista of Malaysia. Do you believe the same?     
AM         : Yes, it is pretty peaceful now. And we have all come a long way from that horrible incident. But if you asked me, honestly, the incident has left a crack in our country’s unity. Those like me who have gone through the dark shadows are still skeptical of the friendship and sincerity of the other races. We’ve lost trust. For those who had suffered have forgiven but not forgotten. Now, do you understand why I do not wish to have my photo taken for this?
AEW        : Do you think any country, Malaysia or otherwise should be ruled racially?       
AM         : A country should belong to all, not one particular race.
AEW      : So how do you think Malaysia will fare in the future if racial-divide ruling is gotten rid of?    
AM         : If racial divide ruling is gotten rid of, the country will achieve more progress because each citizen who are treated fairly would want to be very, very loyal to the country he/she loves. Don’t you think so? I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not particularly patriotic. But at the end of the day, I am thankful that I had led a blessed life.
AEW      : Aunty May, I’m not sure I am very patriotic myself, despite being born on Merdeka Day! And I’m sure quite a number of others share the same ‘patriotism’. Nevertheless, thank you for sharing your experience and story. If I could track down one of those Chinese gangster, I would love to do a story on him. Well, we all can only hope for Malaysia to progress and mature.

No comments:

Post a Comment