Real People. Real Views.

This blog is one of my side projects and it will touch on random topics / everyday subjects from the heavy to the light-hearted or even candid. They will come from various people from all walks of life - they could be friends, acquaintances or complete strangers. This is not a 5-minute fame kinda thing but more so for us to tell the world that everyone has their own POV - whether you deem them important or not. It is about mutual respect, understanding and most importantly, it is about LISTENING.

p/s : I strive to keep it as real as possibly allowable
pp/s : For those who has a POV to share - do drop me a note!

Monday, November 22, 2010

An Encounter With... Gay Pride

Name    : Romyr L.
Age        :  30
Where Are You From?  :  Philippines
Currently Residing In… :  Phnom Penh
What Do You Do For A Living? : Event Management

AEW      : Thanks for being willing to be featured on my blog and for doing this interview. How long have you been “out-of-the-closet” now?   
ROM      :  After secondary school. About 15 years now…
AEW      : Are you proud of doing so?
ROM      :  Absolutely! I can’t imagine where I would be now if I didn’t come out a few years back.
AEW      : A lot of people go through different processes to discover that they are gay. What was yours?  
ROM      :  It was a self-discovery journey for me. It started when I was love-struck by a high schoolmate. At that time, I kept it only to myself. 
AEW      : Do you have any particularly frustrating incident relevant to you coming out of the closet to share with the readers?
ROM       :  None actually. Although it was at first rather disappointing for my family - especially to my father when I came out, he and the family finally accepted me whole-heartedly.
AEW       : What did you learn from it? Looking back, do you think you could’ve reacted / responded / gone about it in another way?
ROM       :  I learnt the essence of self-acceptance. You should believe and accept yourself first before others can. The moment I made a choice, there was no turning back. It was also about taking the courage to choose a lifestyle that holds mystery for you. You wouldn’t know how far you can go with it. But till now, I have no regrets and I know I won't. 
AEW      : Do you think gays are special? Ok, or rather, do you think gays should be treated as special?
ROM      :  No. Gays are not special. We are normal people. If you treat celebrities like special people that's because you are a fan. But if you are a friend, you then treat each other as equals. 
AEW      : I understand you are single, yes? Do you one day, foresee yourself in a grand pink wedding?
ROM      :  5 years ago, the thought never crossed my mind. I even thought I would live a short and lonely life! But as you meet people and experience other people’s companionship, you change your mind. Now, yes I do! And I will get married 5 years from now *giggle* 
AEW      : If that day comes, who will more likely be “bride-like” / “groom-like” (meaning, behave like a bride / groom) and of course – who will be planning your wedding J?
ROM      :  Me! I will be bride-like! And YOU! You will be planning my wedding!!

No comments:

Post a Comment