Real People. Real Views.

This blog is one of my side projects and it will touch on random topics / everyday subjects from the heavy to the light-hearted or even candid. They will come from various people from all walks of life - they could be friends, acquaintances or complete strangers. This is not a 5-minute fame kinda thing but more so for us to tell the world that everyone has their own POV - whether you deem them important or not. It is about mutual respect, understanding and most importantly, it is about LISTENING.

p/s : I strive to keep it as real as possibly allowable
pp/s : For those who has a POV to share - do drop me a note!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

An Encounter with... An Accidental Hero

Name    : Immi
Age        : 34+
Where Are You From?   : Sri Lanka
Currently Residing In…   : Cambodia
What Do You Do For A Living?     : Running an Event management Company in Cambodia

AEW   : Hi Imran. I hope you are feeling good today and definitely thank you for spending some time on this. I know this is probably a difficult topic for your to speak about. I understand you were one of the first at the scene of the Cambodian stampede which took place recently during the last day of the Water Festival celebrations. What were you doing there?     
IM      :   Sad to see it and I was doing an event just by the bridge at that time.
AEW   : Can you describe what the situation was like exactly?
IM      :   I think it was not so properly organized by both the government authorities as well as Diamond Island. It all started off with a panicked rumor saying that the bridge was going to collapse. I even received a phone call from my wife saying the same thing. And I was just there witnessing it with my team when it happened. Good thing we had a PA system and we managed to use that to clear and prevent people from entering the bridge. But it was really chaos unfolding before my very eyes.
AEW   : What was your first immediate reaction?   
IM      :   My team and I managed to rescue people who were injured as well as move a few dead bodies out of the way before the police and medics turned up after nearly 2 hours. I also quickly organized bottled water supply for the victims who were still trapped.  
AEW    : What was it really like, being right there in the heart of the tragedy? Surrounded by such chaos and mayhem?            
IM      :   Feeling shitty and useless, seeing all those people crying for help. I was wondering too at that time – about how poorly this was organized. This wasn’t the first time for Water Fest and surely the crowd was to be anticipated. Unfortunately…..
AEW   : Carrying the… dead bodies. Was it awful or were you just focused on getting it done?      
IM      : I just got there and do whatever I could.  So yea, I was pretty focused on getting it done.
AEW   : Were you in any way traumatized by the tragedy? Being so close to it, helping the victims, the survivors… were you affected psychologically? Has it changed your perspective about life in any way?      
IM      : Yes… after the incident, I needed a break badly, just to clear what was on my mind. I left Phnom Penh for a couple of days. But coming back after a couple of days, and seeing the bridge re-opened to the public and the fairy lights turned on fully, I felt really shitty about it. To me, the bridge should be closed and dedicated to the dead to show some respect! But that’s just me.  
AEW   : So do you consider yourself a hero, by accident for being at the wrong place, at the wrong time?        
IM      :   *Laughs* It was actually my tenth year anniversary in Cambodia on the tragic day and it felt great in a way to be able to lend a helping hand to the Cambodians. I got many blessings from those people and a few managed to thank me even. I guess in a way, it was an apt ear-mark for 10th year in Cambodia. So I am happy about it.
AEW   : You know, I think such tragedies, though unexpected and definitely unplanned for can be avoided. Seeing you are from the event management line, what is your advice to organizers of events which will be garnering in large crowds?      
IM      :   More security personnel to do crowd control and management. Just imagine, 3 million people in Phnom Penh during the festival – and all centered at the riverside. I guess for the public – either avoid these crowded areas or else, practice being civic-minded!
AEW  :   Well, Imran, thank you for sharing your experience. It has indeed been a tragic affair and I hope the relevant people would use this as a learning curve. As for you, I would also like to say Thank You. A good samaritan is rather rare these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment