Real People. Real Views.

This blog is one of my side projects and it will touch on random topics / everyday subjects from the heavy to the light-hearted or even candid. They will come from various people from all walks of life - they could be friends, acquaintances or complete strangers. This is not a 5-minute fame kinda thing but more so for us to tell the world that everyone has their own POV - whether you deem them important or not. It is about mutual respect, understanding and most importantly, it is about LISTENING.

p/s : I strive to keep it as real as possibly allowable
pp/s : For those who has a POV to share - do drop me a note!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

An Encounter with... Christmas

Name    : Sue Anne Koh
Age        :  15
Where Are You From?   : Malaysia
Currently Residing In…   : Melbourne, Australia
What Do You Do For A Living?     : I am a student, not working or earning any pay at the moment J

AEW      : So, Sue Anne, are you excited that Christmas is around the corner?  
SAK        : Yes, I’m quite excited.
AEW      : Why?
SAK        : Because I will have an opportunity to spend time with my family in Malaysia that I haven’t seen for a long time. I will be going back to Malaysia for Christmas this year!
AEW      : Ahhhh,….. nice. You have one of the luxuries of experiencing Christmas celebrations in two different countries. How are they different?
SAK        : Well, I haven’t really spent Christmas in Melbourne, but there is definitely obvious Christmas spirit here that is less seen in Malaysia. Although Christmas has become quite commercialized in both countries, I think that it is more community-based here, and it is celebrated slightly more humbly compared to Malaysia.
AEW      : Tell me, how do you usually celebrate Christmas? Anything special at all?  
SAK          : For the many previous years, I had always celebrated Christmas eve over at my uncle’s house with the whole family, including my grandparents, cousins, uncles and aunties and of course my immediate family too. We would enjoy each other’s company and each family would prepare something for the gathering. It’s like a pot-luck party. We would eat good food such as turkey and exchange stories and events of the things we did or experienced during the year.
AEW      : I guess, for many people, whether in Malaysia or Australia, festive seasons are usually a celebration of food too! Do you think presents are also a big part of Christmas? Why?
SAK          :  Well, when I was younger, presents were all I think about when Christmas approaches – of course, that is besides the tree and Santa. But after a while, my expectations of gifts during Christmas lessened and now I barely expect any presents from people anymore. I think the meaning of ‘presents’ can vary from a simple thought written down on a card to an extravagant item for a person. Christmas is all about giving, more than receiving. I believe that majority have been receiving MORE than we have been giving.
AEW        : Errr… you are how old again?? Very profound! If only more people thought like you do!! So, do you buy Christmas presents for your family or friends?  
SAK        : Nope.
AEW        : What?? Hmm… all about the receiving eh? *grin*. Next question is a fun one J Do you wait around for Santa in the middle of the night or you’re too grown-up now to believe in Santa Claus? J
SAK          : I’ve never actually believed in Santa because when we were young, we were not into the tradition of ‘hanging stockings on the chimney’ or anything like that. I helped my mother with purchasing the presents and had known since that my Mom was ‘Santa’.  *grin*
AEW      : That's a good one! So, have you been “naughty” or “nice” this year? J
SAK        : I think I have been mainly ‘nice’ *smile*
AEW      : Well, in that case, I’m sure you’ll be expecting lots of goodies from YOUR ‘Santa’, yes? Ok, Sue Anne, here’s to a very, very Merry X’mas to you and your family. Enjoy the food and pressies. And oh – Happy New Year too!
To all our readers as well – a VERY MERRY X’MAS TO ALL and have a swell New Year’s!! 2011 will be as awesome as ever! J

No comments:

Post a Comment