Real People. Real Views.

This blog is one of my side projects and it will touch on random topics / everyday subjects from the heavy to the light-hearted or even candid. They will come from various people from all walks of life - they could be friends, acquaintances or complete strangers. This is not a 5-minute fame kinda thing but more so for us to tell the world that everyone has their own POV - whether you deem them important or not. It is about mutual respect, understanding and most importantly, it is about LISTENING.

p/s : I strive to keep it as real as possibly allowable
pp/s : For those who has a POV to share - do drop me a note!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

An Encounter with... A Bitchy Industry

Name  : Kris Wong
Age     : I'd like to say perpetually 29 but I've been told perpetually 35 will have to do now.
Where Are You From?         : Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
Currently Residing In…       :  Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
What Do You Do For A Living?       : Too many things and I enjoy some more than others. Publisher, Editor, Designer, News Presenter.
AEW   : Kris, I know you’re a man of many hats in the Malaysian wedding industry, which is why I’m particularly interested in hearing your thoughts about the wedding industry in Malaysia. I hear, like the advertising industry, the wedding one is just as bitchy if not more. What do you think?  
KW      : I think every industry has its bad apples. Having said that, everyone has his or her own point of view and as such, we can't possibly see eye-to-eye with everyone in the industry. I try to get along with most but there are those whom I just do not click with. Similarly, I am sure there are those who may not like me much too. The reality is that whilst many think that we work in a happy and blissful industry, that is not always the case. There can be a tremendous amount of stress and at times we de-stress by bitching, either about unreasonable clients or industry colleagues who may have rubbed us the wrong way.
AEW   : I think we just cannot escape the bitching and back-stabbing, etc, etc. whatever industry it may be. But why do you think that is – for the wedding industry in Malaysia? Could it be too much competition? Insecurities? What really could it be?    
KW      : To think we can escape it is a fallacy. We just have to deal with it as best we can. I think it is fair to say that for the most part, we get along fine. In fact, over the years, I have witnessed more and more vendors working together for the common good. Some friendly competitors even pool resources at times. Those who thrive on conflict I believe are those who are insecure.
AEW   : I personally had always believed that the pie is big enough to share. But I think I belong in the minority who supports that statement. For the majority – do you think it is greed or ego?
KW      : I wholeheartedly agree with your first statement but I would like to think that it is the majority who supports it rather than the minority. As the industry evolves, we are seeing a larger number of service providers cooperating with one another. Being creative types, everyone has an ego to a certain extent. The wise ones are those who keep their egos in check as in our line of work, one cannot operate in isolation. A wedding has so many components, all interlinked, and it is absolutely certain that areas of work will overlap.
AEW    : Oh! Good to know that it is the majority who supports the pie statement :) Hey, you think you could share with our readers some examples of “bitchy”- to the point of malicious incidents which you have encountered in the wedding business? Be it with partners or competitors or other vendors? 
KW      : People always remember the 'bad' incidents more than the 'good'. Also, when news travels through the grapevine, sometimes facts get distorted. I am not going to elaborate on any such incidents but I am one who would certainly propagate integrity. Once you backstab someone, the relationship is changed forever and it is not that easy to mend fences.
AEW   : Wise man, I would say! I think given your many hats in the wedding business, you cannot really be seen as favouring some over others. Is that true? Or you DO actually have favourites – in terms of who you prefer to work with, etc. 
KW      : This is a tricky question haha! The thing is, because I wear so many hats, it can get complicated, so I always need to remind myself what 'hat' I am wearing in any given situation. As Publisher & Editor-In-Chief of the weddingsmalaysia portfolio of publications and websites, I try to be as impartial as I can. I do my best to ensure that all our partners receive as much of our support as we can offer them. In order for us to do that, they must also reciprocate by providing us feedback, input and materials, all on a timely basis. "The early bird catches the worm" rings true here. In this respect, I believe I am pretty transparent and fair from the publishing side of things but I certainly have my detractors who think otherwise.
Now, the perspective from being a designer of wedding attire is a completely different one. When designing a client's wedding gown for example, I probably come into contact with wedding planners, makeup artists, florists and photographers most. We all have a role to play in creating the perfect 'look' for the bride. For this to work, we need to have a similar sense of style, similar tastes. I wouldn' say that I have a favourite list of vendors from a designer's perspective, but I do prefer to work with some rather than others. We all hope for seamless cooperation so that we can keep the bride happy, and when the bride is happy, the work is much more pleasureable and easy to execute.
A third 'hat' is that of a friend. Yes, I am friends with some in the industry and just acquaintances with others. Realistically, it will never be possible for me to be friends with everyone. I only have a small circle of personal friends and these are the ones who share a part of my personal life. I am 'friendly' with my other industry colleagues of course, but more so in relation to our work and businesses.
AEW   : And I suppose, that sparks off a round of “bitching” with those people who feels side-lined? From the friendships you develop with some and not "them"?  
KW      : In my ten years in the wedding industry, I have to-date only sidelined one person, a vendor who did not show much integrity when dealing with my cousin's wedding. We ended up not using the said vendor and I have since avoided any further dealings. Other than that, I am willing to work with anyone, provided that they are trustworthy and efficient, they are true to their word and put up a united front when problems arise with clients. Most importantly, they must have integrity. Mutual respect is very important in my opinion. Once the trust is lost, it can be very difficult to rebuild.
AEW   : Through your eyes, having networked, mingled and met so many industry vendors – what do you think are some of their worse weaknesses – bitching included? This is a question which calls for a generalization in the answer…..  
KW      : I don't think it will be right for me to point out the weaknesses of others but I don't mind revealing some of mine haha! Impatience is my number one weakness. I like to get things done fast and efficiently and am prone to ranting when deadlines are not met! But some say that can be a strength too ... and of course I'm inclined to see it that way!
AEW   : Once again, very PC of you :) If you have one advice and one advice only to the entire Malaysian wedding industry – what would it be?  
KW      : Have integrity. People trust people who have integrity.
AEW    : I will second that in a flash of a flash! Well, thank you Kris, for taking the time out and staying so PC throughout :) Here's to further growth, maturity and co-operation for the wedding industry!
For those who would like to see some of the many hats that Kris Wong dons, click here, here and here. And these are just some of it :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment