Real People. Real Views.

This blog is one of my side projects and it will touch on random topics / everyday subjects from the heavy to the light-hearted or even candid. They will come from various people from all walks of life - they could be friends, acquaintances or complete strangers. This is not a 5-minute fame kinda thing but more so for us to tell the world that everyone has their own POV - whether you deem them important or not. It is about mutual respect, understanding and most importantly, it is about LISTENING.

p/s : I strive to keep it as real as possibly allowable
pp/s : For those who has a POV to share - do drop me a note!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

An Encounter with... A Political Rebel

Name    : David Ho
Age        : 49
Where Are You From?  : Penang, Malaysia
Currently Residing In… : Jakarta, Indonesia
What Do You Do For A Living?   : Brand Communications

AEW      : I am actually personally intrigued by your political viewpoints – particularly those on
  Malaysia’s political scene.  Tell me, are you actually for or against the incumbent party?
DH        : I think it will be too shallow to say whether I am ‘for’ or ‘against’ the incumbent party. We must remember that it is the mandate given by the people during the election. I am ‘for’ any political party/parties or politicians who are honest, accountable and responsible, have high integrity, principled and committed to serve the people instead of serving themselves.
AEW      : Why? I mean, why is this important to you?  
DH        : Looking at the current state of political system which anyone on the streets know is by patronage, and that it has been going on for the past 50 odd years without any meaningful reform nor any will to change for the betterment for all Malaysians, I just got sick and tired of it all. And because of this political patronage, we've got people who are not qualified to be elected and appointed in the positions of power to administer, run and manage the country. And where does all this leads to? Yes, Corruption, Cronyism and Nepotism and these 3 ingredients are going to destroy the country and the people. Some politicians will even blatantly use the name of God, religion and myopic race-based crusade for their own agenda, so you tell me is there any hope?
AEW      : I have been following the political agenda of Malaysia on and off and at the current moment, it all seems very idiotic from where I am at. You're right. It's a little bleak. But do you think your viewpoints regarding the Malaysian politics are very outspoken. Are you not afraid of repercussions?  
DH        : I don’t think I am outspoken and hence not worried about repercussions *smiles*. There are many outspoken Malaysians out there who speak for justice by the rule of law, equal and human rights as well as fair play. Those are the people who inspire me to listen, learn and find out more about what is happening to the country and from there, make my own analysis and conclusions.
AEW      : Do you have any particular strong support for a single Malaysian politician? As in, you are more forgiving towards him or her, could be you are also more understanding towards  his/her standpoints or if he/she screws up publicly.
DH       : Yes I do. There are a few principled politicians whom I think are doing a good job. Whether I am more forgiving or not depend on what sort of screw-ups they made and how he/she engages and handle the ‘screw-up’. We are humans after all, ya! So far, I am happy to say that I am pleased with the performance of the MP in my constituency whom I’ve voted for and it feels good to know that my single vote was not wasted.
AEW     : Do you think the Malaysians have generally matured in terms of the 'political arena' or are we still light years behind?
DH        : I can only speak for myself but having indulged in conversations amongst my families, friends and peers about Malaysian politics, the answer is yes. However, I think the real danger is in the misinformation from the main-stream media and irresponsible politicians creating and sensationalizing “non-issues” about race and religion in the country.
AEW      : Who do you want to win the next GE and why? What are your hopes if they win?
DH       : Given the current 2 party system, I will vote based on the integrity of the candidate chosen by the party from both divide. Of course, the candidate must be inspiring and have a clear and concise political stance while the party that he/she is associated with is serious in their vision and agenda on how they are going to manage the country.
AEW      : In general, what do you hope for Malaysia?
DH        : At the current rate of plundering and mismanagement, is there any hope? But on a more positive note, there will come a time when a great, inspiring and God-fearing leader will emerge from the ruins to help lead the country and this is the only hope for Malaysia.
AEW      : That sounds very positive indeed! Not sure if we'll ever live to see it? But if whatever you hope for actually takes place, will you consider establishing yourself back home?
DH        : Yes and No. Yes, because of sentimental reasons, family ties, reasonable cost of living and retirement. No, have yet to decide until I can see some positive changes.
AEW    : Well, Pak Ho, thank you very much for sharing some of your thoughts about this and may we all wish Malaysia well then!

No comments:

Post a Comment